ABC of Epilepsy PDF provides a practical guide for general practitioners, and all those working in primary care, on the diagnosis, treatment, and management of epilepsy, and for the continued monitoring and long-term support of what is still a relatively poorly understood neurological disorder.
This brand new title in the ABC series is highly illustrated throughout and presents what epilepsy is, its classification, and how to diagnose it. It covers anti-epileptic drugs and non-drug treatments, as well as self-management and living with epilepsy.
Edited by a general practitioner and neurologist team, the ABC of Epilepsy reflects current NICE guidelines and is ideal for all GPs, primary health care professionals, practice nurses and specialist nurses, and non-specialist medical staff who play an increasing role in monitoring and managing of epilepsy patients.
Description of ABC of Epilepsy PDF
The ABC of Epilepsy is one book on this deadly disease that every medical student and practitioner should study at least once as it provides all the basic information regarding the diseases and all its essential treatment and management. Read it once as it will provide you with a firm grasp over the condition and its types. Download Now.
W. Henry Smithson is a General Practitioner and Acting Head, Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care, Medical School, University of Sheffield. Before moving to academic practice I spent twenty-five years in general practice, first in northern Canada and then as a partner in a rural practice in North Yorkshire UK. As a result of funding for community-based research focusing on epilepsy and other long-term conditions the practice developed into a research site with a research assistant and a research nurse. I then moved to a full academic position at the Unit of Primary Medical Care in Sheffield UK where my clinical commitment was in a deprived practice in inner-city Sheffield. This gave me an opportunity to experience the similarities and differences between rural and urban practices before taking up my post in UCC in 2014. I am now working in a practice serving a deprived population in the north of the city. The dynamic and changing nature of general practice requires a valid evaluation of the service and in straightened times also needs to be part of a cost-conscious and cost-effective health service. The practice move to a new Primary Care Centre in 2018 where the department will take part in service development and evaluation. General practice is also a fruitful setting for a range of clinical research. I have been involved in studies of childhood asthma, urinary diaries, medicines adherence, decision aids for patients and self-management of epilepsy. My main interest is in the care of people with epilepsy and the impact if the condition on the individual. I am currently working with epilepsy charities to set up registries of epilepsy-related death in UK and Ireland. The environment of general practice is changing and the various models of general practice demonstrate this. There are still traditional models of small practices that are common in rural areas but can also be found in cities. However, with central support for large multi-disciplinary primary care centers housing general practices, dentistry, counseling, physiotherapy and occupational therapy, pharmacies, opticians, podiatry among others have changed the way practices work. The department will provide advice and support for the evaluation of models of service.
Matthew C. Walker is Professor of Neurology, UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London and national hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London.
Doody’s Editorial Review
“This monograph has great utility for clinicians and patients, and would be a valuable resource for a primary care setting library.” (Doody’s, 7 September2012)
Table of Contents
Listed below are all the chapters in the book along with their details:
- Contributors, vii
- Foreword, ix
- Preface, xi
- 1 What is Epilepsy? Incidence, Prevalence and Aetiology, 1 W. Henry Smithson and Matthew C. Walker
- 2 Describing and Classifying the Condition, 4 Colin D. Ferrie and Matthew C. Walker
- 3 Making the Diagnosis Taking a History, Clinical Examination, Investigations, 9 Jan Bagshaw, Matthew C. Walker, Colin D. Ferrie, Mike P. Kerr and W. Henry Smithson
- 4 Managing the Drug Treatment of Epilepsy, 14 Colin D. Ferrie, Mike P. Kerr, W. Henry Smithson and Matthew C. Walker
- 5 Non-drug Treatments Including Epilepsy Surgery, 18 Colin D. Ferrie, W. Henry Smithson and Matthew C. Walker
- 6 Prolonged or Repeated Seizures, 21 Matthew C. Walker
- 7 Special Groups Women, Children, Learning Disability and the Elderly, 23 Jan Bagshaw, Colin D. Ferrie and Mike P. Kerr
- 8 Monitoring and Review How to Manage the Condition Long Term, 27 Colin D. Ferrie, Alice Hanscomb and Mike P. Kerr
- 9 Living with Epilepsy Information, Support and Self-Management, 30 Alice Hanscomb and W. Henry Smithson
- Appendix: Epilepsy Charities, 34
- Index, 35
Dimensions and Characters of ABC of Epilepsy PDF
- 48 Pages
- File Size: 2 MBs
- English Language
- 5-Star Rating
- ABC Series
Download Button for ABC of Epilepsy PDF
A white download button is shown below for the ABC of Epilepsy PDF file. Click it to start your free download now.
This site complies with DMCA Digital Copyright Laws. Please bear in mind that we do not own copyrights to this book/software. We’re sharing this with our audience ONLY for educational purposes and we highly encourage our visitors to purchase the original licensed software/Books. If someone with copyrights wants us to remove this software/Book, please contact us. immediately.
You may send an email to email@example.com for all DMCA / Removal Requests
- Download Medical Instrumentation Application and Design 5th Edition PDF Free: - February 28, 2021
- Download The Immunoassay Handbook 4th Edition PDF free: - February 28, 2021
- Download Marks’ Basic Medical Biochemistry A Clinical Approach 5th Edition PDF Free: - February 28, 2021